Monday, July 30, 2012

Gun Metal Technique...

Today, I decided to try something totally out of my normal realm. No cutesy or pretty feminine card for you today like I normally post.   A totally masculine card!


This makes a great men's card. I was totally enamored with something I saw on Splitcoast Stampers from "dlsplu" and her card there.  She was also inspired by someone else from Splitcoast Stampers "Carmensplace".  Go check them out.  They both inspired me with this unusal technique. So I got to work scouring the Internet and on Pinterest I found more directions on the procedure.  There I was able to find a nice video on YouTube that really helped me. 


Since I did not not have any black acrylic paint at home I did use shoe polish instead of acrylic paint as specified by someone else's directions. I decided to try the shoe polish and it worked very well.  The shoe polish can be messy so I was careful to use paper behind the card front and a plastic mat when putting the polish over the card front.  The shoe polish had an sponge applicator tip which I was able to spread it on with the applicator tip and not using my finger or a paint brush.  To remove the polish to the consistency I wanted I used a paper towel to wipe off any excess polish.  This certainly gave it the look I was hoping for.


I also used things I had in my stash to put underneath the foil to create the raised effect I wanted.  I also was lucky that I had a Starbucks coffee holder in my car and was able to use that for the corrugated look. I used everything on the front silver so you really need to look closely to see the objects on the card front.


This procedure was really fun but messy to work with. I enjoyed doing it although it was a bit messy. I do love the way it turned out.  I will give this birthday card to my nephew and see if he was pleasantly surprised when he opens the card? I"ll know by his expression and what remarks he has to offer. If he likes it and was pleasantly surprised with the technique I will probably do it again for another men's card.


I do think this looks like gun metal.  Let me know your thoughts on this one girls......
Thanks for stopping by today!




1 comment:

  1. I did a double take on this card...smile...you are right it is not your usual style, but it's good to go out of your box. I have a hard time doing that. But you did an excellent job with this technique. Thanks for the links...You never know when something like would come in handy (looks like something my grandsom might like)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment. I love hearing from you. Thanks....

Don't Forget To Leave A Comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...